bios = life; teuchos = tools; logos = account (etymological = examination of tools from living beings)
Biotechnology is an interdisciplinary science which combines the fields of molecular - biological and engineering sciences. It uses living organisms, cells and their components for industrial purposes, for example in agriculture, food technology, medicine, veterinary science and protection of the environment.
A Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) is an organism that was changed using methods of modern biotechnology. In such an organism a defined gene for an exactly defined characteristic from another organism has been inserted. GMOs are micro-organisms (bacteria, fungi and viruses), plants and animals.
In relation to the release of GMOs into the environment (field trials) and placing of GMOS on the market:
- Slovenian Biosafety Portal
- GMO register – the release of GMOs in the environment and placing of GMOs on the EU market
- Community Register of genetically modified food and feed
- Community Reference Laboratory (EURL)
- European Commission
- European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)
- Biosafety Clearing House - BCH Central portal
- OECD - Biosafety
- GMO Compass
- Chemical Abstratcts Service
- Institute for Sustainable Development